Rss Feed
  1. Gone by Michael Grant

    Thursday 23 January 2014

    Gone - Michael Grant


    "Suddenly it’s a world without adults and normal has crashed and burned. When life as you know it ends at 15, everything changes.

    In the blink of an eye all the adults disappear in a small town in southern California and no one knows why. Cut off from the outside world, those that are left are trapped, and there’s no help on the way. They must do all they can to survive. Chaos rules the streets. Gangs begin to form. Sides are chosen – strong or weak. Cruel or humane. And then there are those who begin to develop powers . . . It’s Lord of the Flies for the Heroes generation.

    A tour-de-force from global sensation, Michael Grant, Gone is the first book in the series. If there’s one sci-fi/fantasy book for teens you read this year, make it Gone.

     “I love this book” – Stephen King


    Good but not spectacular 

    I actually saw this in my local bookshop a number of times, but it never really caught my fancy. But then I decided to give it a go, and I honestly have mixed opinions. 

    Gone is a sci fi Dystopian Novel in which any adult over the age of fifteen disappears. During the course of the book, the characters have to deal with the rich kids up at Coates, mutated animals, talking coyotes and the mysterious darkness amongst other things such as learning to live in a world without adults.

    I will admit that I found this book to be quite enjoyable, if not a little boring at times. And though it is not great such as other books in it genre, it has its own style that lends itself. To be honest, I didn't really feel like a lot happened. A lot of the book was spent talking about the FAYZ, The Barrier and what the characters were doing. 

    Which brings me onto my next topic - the characters. I didn't really make a connection with any of the characters. They all felt a little underdeveloped and one dimensional to me, but that is not to say that I didn't like them. I just feel that they could have been developed better.

    I wasn't wowed by this book, I didn't get the same sense of excitement for the sequels as I have done for other books, but that is not to say that I will not read the sequels.

  2. 0 comments:

    Post a Comment